Who is the PTA Environmental Awareness Chair?
Texas PTA promotes environmental awareness initiatives that unite parents, students, teachers and campus administrators in an effort to protect children and their environment.
Responsibilities of the Environmental Awareness Chair:
- Meet with campus representatives; including the principal and teachers; who may be good resources (such as science, social studies, language arts, journalism, gifted teachers, librarians and club sponsors, etc.) to determine campus needs and interests related to the environment
- Develop a committee
- Familiarize yourself with environmental resources and organizations and select which topics you would like to pursue
- Become familiar with the National PTA environmental position statements and environmental legislative priorities for Texas and National PTA, and share information and advocacy with PTA membership
- Promote participation in America Recycles Day, Earth Day, Arbor Day
- Work with community organizations that promote environmental priorities, such as Keep Texas Beautiful affiliates or environmental services in your city
- Educate school personnel, students and PTA members about environmental issues through newsletter articles, website and member programs
- Schedule a program for members related to environmental awareness through Texas PTA resources or a local community organization
- Encourage campus participation in community environmental events and activities that promote “reduce-reuse-recycle” practices on your campus