Dear Healthy Lifestyles Chair,
When we are committed to student’s health, we are committed to their future. The Healthy Lifestyles Chair helps ensure healthy opportunities are presented and available in a PTA’s school. Developing relationships with administrators, school health providers and physical education coaches is a great way to further your outreach. If you have any questions throughout the year or have a success story to share, email me HERE.
Healthy Lifestyles Liaison
Who is the Healthy Lifestyles Chair?
Healthy Lifestyles Chair establishes a committee that provides access to training and resources and addresses the critical nutrition and physical activity needs of Texas children and their families.
Duties at a Glance:
- Create a Healthy Lifestyles Team. Include your Principal, Local PTA President, PE Department, Cafeteria Manager, Garden Director and parents.
- Attend your District’s SHAC meetings and know your District’s Wellness Policy (found on school website.)
- Join your school’s Campus Improvement Committee to provide a school health perspective.
- Assess your school’s needs via surveys and SHAC meetings, plus feedback from school faculty, staff and administration, local PTA leaders, parents and students
- Learn about Coordinated School Health—visit the CDC website.
- Create opportunities for parent engagement and education that fit your local needs, utilizing local assets (parents, businesses, local non-profits) as well as State and National PTA resources (Ready, Set, Achieve!)
- Ensure that your school receives recognition: apply for the Local PTA Healthy Lifestyles Award.
- Complete a Plan of Work for the work of your committee. This alerts your Local PTA board of the committee as well as the dates, and resources to reach those goals.
- Be a positive force of collaboration, information and support in your school.
- Subscribe to Just the Right Fit, the Healthy Lifestyles Newsletter.
View the BASICS: