Who is the Healthy Lifestyles Chair?
Healthy Lifestyles Chair establishes a committee that provides access to training and resources and addresses the critical nutrition and physical activity needs of Texas children and their families.
Responsibilities of the Healthy Lifestyles Chair:
- Create a Healthy Lifestyles Team. Include your Principal, Local PTA President, PE Department, Cafeteria Manager, Garden Director and parents
- Attend your District’s SHAC meetings and know your District’s Wellness Policy (found on school website.)
- Join your school’s Campus Improvement Committee to provide a school health perspective
- Assess your school’s needs via surveys and SHAC meetings, plus feedback from school faculty, staff and administration, local PTA leaders, parents and students
- Learn about Coordinated School Health—visit the CDC website
- Create opportunities for parent engagement and education that fit your local needs, utilizing local assets (parents, businesses, local non-profits) as well as State and National PTA resources (Ready, Set, Achieve!)
- Ensure that your school receives recognition: apply for the Local PTA Healthy Lifestyles Award
- Be a positive force of collaboration, information and support in your school