Emerging Leaders Academy
Legacy of Leadership
From our humble beginnings in 1909, Texas PTA has grown into the state's largest child advocacy association with more than 500,000 members. Our success has been driven by the grassroots leadership of concerned parents, educators and community members who are dedicated to making every child's potential a reality. Texas PTA is proud to offer our Emerging Leaders Academy (ELA) to help ensure a new generation of dedicated leaders who are working to support student success!
PTA's commitment to engage families and communities as powerful advocates for children reaches across all cultural and socioeconomic boundaries. The Emerging Leaders Academy is an opportunity to identify and support dedicated volunteers from diverse backgrounds, while equipping them with skills to become effective, successful leaders within PTA and throughout their communities. This series of four, one-day sessions will provide participants with proven strategies in outreach, communication, advocacy and family engagement.
Who Is an Emerging Leader?
Whether it's the PTA volunteer who organizes the multicultural night at your campus or a co-worker who organizes a reading program at the local library, leaders can be found in every corner of our communities. ELA seeks to support a diverse group of volunteers who are committed to creating successful schools through these fundamental characteristics:
- Demonstrates a passion for our vision that every child’s potential is a reality.
- Exhibits visionary and forward-thinking leadership qualities.
- Reflects professionalism, integrity and PTA values.
- Believes PTA should be an inclusive association for all.
- Strives to increase family engagement through PTA programs and membership.
- Seeks personal development to provide long-term leadership within PTA and throughout their community.
The Class of 2014 will be limited to a maximum of 20 leaders, and all selected candidates are expected to attend each of the four ELA sessions throughout the year. The proposed schedule for the Class of 2014 is provided below for your reference. ELA participation is provided at no cost to all selected candidates, including any necessary travel.
- February 6, 2014 - San Antonio
- July 17, 2014 - Houston
- October 23, 2014 - Dallas
- February 25, 2015 - Austin