*Resources for Parents
Talking To Your Children About Disasters
National PTA and Amazon Kindle Team Up To Support Family Reading
Resources for the Family Reading Experience:
A webinar series from Texas PTA and Christina McGhee, Founder of Divorce and Children, LLC.
With over one million kids each year becoming a part of a separated, divorced or blended family, parents and teachers are looking for more meaningful ways to help kids get through the process and thrive in a secure and happy world.
We realize helping every child reach their potential takes teamwork. That's why the Texas PTA and Christina McGhee have teamed up to offer the Parenting Apart webinar series to help support families dealing with the complex issue of parenting children together while living apart.
Please note that these links lead to websites outside the Texas PTA website. Although Texas PTA periodically reviews the linked sites for acceptable content, we are not responsible for the content posted on these independent sites.
- Consumer Jungle - A non-profit website that teaches teens that life and personal-finance skills are needed to succeed in the business and work world.
- Dyslexia: The Gift The online information center dedicated to the positive side of "learning disability," as well as to remedial therapies and teaching methods suited to the dyslexic learning style.
- Engaging Families at the Secondary Level
- Family.com - Online magazine drawing from more than 40 monthly parenting publications focusing on children and parents in the United States. Also includes a CHAT BOARD with a special area on Parent Involvement in Education!
familyeducation.com - Website offering tips and services for parents and teachers on a variety of subjects.
on a variety of subjects.
- Helping Families Form Attachments to Schools and PTAs
- HIV/AIDS-Talking with your kids about these diseases
Hyperthermia- Hot Car Child Deaths and how to prevent them
- Ray Ray's Pledge - Protecting Kids from Heatstroke in Cars: Q&A with Grieving Mom & Advocate Kristie Reeves
- National Children's Coalition - About and For Kids and Teens - a list of links to find the latest and most complete information about kids and teens, and a list of great places and projects for children and youth on the World Wide Web.
- The National Parenting Center - The National Parenting Center was founded with the intention of providing the most comprehensive and responsible parenting advice to parents everywhere. The advice provided is furnished by some of the world's most respected authorities in the field of child rearing and development.
- Parenting Teens - Parenting Teens Network is a communications company focused on producing responsible and appropriate communications for parents and teens. They seek to improve the dialogue between parents and teens about important issues like health and wellness, relationships, technology and media, education, finances and more.
- Parents' Guide to Student Success: The Parents’ Guide to Student Success was developed in response to the Common Core State Standards in English language arts and mathematics that more than 40 states have adopted. National PTA® created the guides for grades K-8 and two for grades 9-12 (one for English language arts/literacy and one for mathematics). Available in Engish and Spanish.
- Parents: The Anti-Drug - Parent resource to help prevent teen drug abuse.
- Partnership for a Drug-Free America: Parents toolkit in English and Spanish.
- PBS ONLINE - The Public Broadcasting System's world wide website.
- PrivateLessons.com - A high quality, membership-based national network of independent music professionals - private teachers, performers and recording artists.
- Region 16 Parental Involvement Newsletter - The parental involvement connection.
- Robert's Rules of Order - Full text of the 1915 (Fourth) Edition of Robert's Rules of Order, with index and keyword search, lesson outlines and Plan for Study of Parliamentary Law. For students and teachers of parliamentary procedure and Robert's Rules of Order, with resources for the parliamentarian, officers, board of directors, and members.
- Talking With Kids About Tough Issues - A national initiative by Children Now and the Kaiser Family Foundation to encourage parents to talk with their children earlier and more often about tough issues like sex, HIV/AIDS, violence, alcohol, and drug abuse.
- Texas Commission on Alcohol & Drug Abuse - The Enforcing Underage Drinking Laws (EUDL) Program supports and enhances efforts by states and local jurisdictions to prevent the sale of alcoholic beverages to minors and the purchase and consumption of alcoholic beverages by minors.
- Tobacco Campaign - With the goal of reducing this number in future generations, the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) set out to prevent tobacco use and promote cessation among Texans of all ages.
- USA.gov Parenting Resources
- The US Department of Education Family Involvement Partnership for Learning - Resources to help children gain academic success.
- VOTELINK - Online discussion and voting on the major issues of the day.
- Water Safety - The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services urges all parents and caregivers to remember to "see and save" their children, whether they are near water or in unattended vehicles.
- Wrightslaw - Parents, advocates, educators, and attorneys come to Wrightslaw for accurate, up-to-date information about special education law and advocacy for children with disabilities.
- Year Round Involvement of Latino Parents in School Activities - article written by Elida Pérez-Knapp; also available in Spanish.
- Youth and Children Resource Net - A list of sites for news, information, resources, and referrals for children and youth from the National Children’s Coalition.
Here are some resources that we have found that will assist parents in evaluating the safety issues related to childrens' access to the Internet and the various products that are now available to "filter" or "block" access to objectionable Internet resources.
- A Parent's Guide to Video Games, Parental Controls and Online Safety provided by National PTA.
- Family Online Safety Institute - The Family Online Safety Institute works to make the online world safer for kids and their families by identifying and promoting best practice, tools and methods in the field of online safety, that also respect free expression.
- Links to the web sites of some of the major software products offering parental control over Internet access: This list includes access to the latest filter files for all of these products. Please note that this list does not constitute an endorsement by Texas PTA.