*Resources for Parents
Talking To Your Children About Disasters
National PTA and Amazon Kindle Team Up To Support Family Reading
Resources for the Family Reading Experience:
Please note that these links lead to websites outside the Texas PTA website. Although Texas PTA periodically reviews the linked sites for acceptable content, we are not responsible for the content posted on these independent sites.
- Consumer Jungle - A non-profit website that teaches teens that life and personal-finance skills are needed to succeed in the business and work world.
- Dyslexia: The Gift The online information center dedicated to the positive side of "learning disability," as well as to remedial therapies and teaching methods suited to the dyslexic learning style.
- Engaging Families at the Secondary Level (English) (Spanish)
- Family.com - Online magazine drawing from more than 40 monthly parenting publications focusing on children and parents in the United States. Also includes a CHAT BOARD with a special area on Parent Involvement in Education!
familyeducation.com - Website offering tips and services for parents and teachers on a variety of subjects.
on a variety of subjects.
- Helping Families Form Attachments to Schools and PTAs
- HIV/AIDS-Talking with your kids about these diseases
- Hyperthermia- Hot Car Child Deaths and how to prevent them
- National Children's Coalition - About and For Kids and Teens - a list of links to find the latest and most complete information about kids and teens, and a list of great places and projects for children and youth on the World Wide Web.
- The National Parenting Center - The National Parenting Center was founded with the intention of providing the most comprehensive and responsible parenting advice to parents everywhere. The advice provided is furnished by some of the world's most respected authorities in the field of child rearing and development.
- Parenting Teens - Parenting Teens Network is a communications company focused on producing responsible and appropriate communications for parents and teens. They seek to improve the dialogue between parents and teens about important issues like health and wellness, relationships, technology and media, education, finances and more.
- Parents: The Anti-Drug - Parent resource to help prevent teen drug abuse.
- PBS ONLINE - The Public Broadcasting System's world wide website.
- PrivateLessons.com - A high quality, membership-based national network of independent music professionals - private teachers, performers and recording artists.
- Robert's Rules of Order - Full text of the 1915 (Fourth) Edition of Robert's Rules of Order, with index and keyword search, lesson outlines and Plan for Study of Parliamentary Law. For students and teachers of parliamentary procedure and Robert's Rules of Order, with resources for the parliamentarian, officers, board of directors, and members.
- Safe Riders Traffic Safety Program
- Talking With Kids About Tough Issues - A national initiative by Children Now and the Kaiser Family Foundation to encourage parents to talk with their children earlier and more often about tough issues like sex, HIV/AIDS, violence, alcohol, and drug abuse.
- Texas Commission on Alcohol & Drug Abuse - The Enforcing Underage Drinking Laws (EUDL) Program supports and enhances efforts by states and local jurisdictions to prevent the sale of alcoholic beverages to minors and the purchase and consumption of alcoholic beverages by minors.
- Tobacco Campaign - With the goal of reducing this number in future generations, the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) set out to prevent tobacco use and promote cessation among Texans of all ages.
- USA.gov Parenting Resources
- The US Department of Education Family Involvement Partnership for Learning - Resources to help children gain academic success.
- VOTELINK - Online discussion and voting on the major issues of the day.
- Water Safety - The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services urges all parents and caregivers to remember to "see and save" their children, whether they are near water or in unattended vehicles.
- Wrightslaw - Parents, advocates, educators, and attorneys come to Wrightslaw for accurate, up-to-date information about special education law and advocacy for children with disabilities.
- Year Round Involvement of Latino Parents in School Activities - article written by Elida Pérez-Knapp (English) (Spanish)
- Youth and Children Resource Net - A list of sites for news, information, resources, and referrals for children and youth from the National Children’s Coalition.
Here are some resources that we have found that will assist parents in evaluating the safety issues related to childrens' access to the Internet and the various products that are now available to "filter" or "block" access to objectionable Internet resources.
- Family Online Safety Institute - The Family Online Safety Institute works to make the online world safer for kids and their families by identifying and promoting best practice, tools and methods in the field of online safety, that also respect free expression.
- Links to the web sites of some of the major software products offering parental control over Internet access: This list includes access to the latest filter files for all of these products. Please note that this list does not constitute an endorsement by Texas PTA.