The PTA Leader tasked with recruiting members plays an important role in the success of the PTA because a growing and engaged membership is the lifeblood of any PTA, and is the foundation of achieving our mission to make every child's potential a reality.
Click here to submit your Digital Roster, Pay Dues and Send Electronic Member Cards.
- Work with outgoing Membership VP/Chair to obtain access to current membership roster and review recruiting efforts.
- Review the Basics Membership Chair Resource Guide for detailed support and best practices.
- Develop an action plan to contact existing members to renew their membership for the following membership year. The membership year begins on August 1 each year.
- Develop an action plan to welcome new families to your PTA.
- Develop a Plan of Work and submit to the Executive Board for approval. View Sample Plan of Work (Español).
- Ensure your PTA is enrolled in JoinPTA.org and that all profile information is accurate.
- Sign the Confidentiality, Ethics and Conflict of Interest Agreement and submit to the Secretary.
- Review the Dues Refund Policy.
- Complete all mandatory FOUNDATIONS training within 30 days of election or appointment.
Duties at a Glance
- Submit members and dues to Texas PTA at least monthly.
- Ensure your Local PTA meets all requirements of the Standards of Continuing Affiliation.
- Recruit new members throughout the year with the goal of recruiting one member for every student on your campus - A Voice for Every Child!
- Engage school administration and faculty in supporting your PTA through membership.
- Reach out to all families, new and returning, to become a member of your PTA.
- Share the importance of PTA and publicize the vision, mission, priorities, and benefits of membership.
- Promote Member Programs available exclusively to PTA campuses and their members.
- Distribute membership cards to all members and request additional cards as needed.
- Thank your members for supporting PTA and recognize outstanding contributions with Texas PTA Honorary Life Membership or Extended Service Awards.
- Celebrate your successes at membership and board meetings, through social media, and by receiving Texas PTA Membership Awards.
Submitting Members to Texas PTA
PTAs recruit members in a variety of ways - JoinPTA.org, direct outreach at campus events, classroom communications, and unique online opportunities. The information below will help ensure each PTA member is recorded with Texas PTA and added to our voice for kids!
- For myPTEZ users, generate a "Roster" report with a date range starting from the last Texas PTA submission, excluding those reported via JoinPTA.org. Submit digital rosters and dues online or mail printed rosters with checks to the Texas PTA State Office.
*Note that myPTEZ entries do not automatically transmit to Texas PTA.
- For PTAs using spreadsheets, create a Membership Roster with new members, excluding those from JoinPTA.org. Submit this roster with corresponding dues to the Texas PTA State Office. Members joining via JoinPTA.org are automatically reported to Texas PTA and should not be included with roster submissions.