Establishing and supporting a healthy lifestyles position within your PTA signals your commitment to building healthy schools, healthy families, and healthy communities.
- Work with the previous chair to review ongoing efforts and obtain any needed materials.
- Review the Basics Healthy Lifestyles Resource Guide for detailed support and best practices.
- Develop a Plan of Work and submit to the Executive Board for approval. View Sample Plan of Work (Español).
- Become familiar with the Texas Coordinated School Health requirements and the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child Model.
- Sign the Confidentiality, Ethics and Conflict of Interest Agreement and submit to the Secretary.
- Complete both components of FOUNDATIONS within 30 days of election or appointment.
Duties at a Glance
- Serve as a liaison between your PTA and the community regarding health-related issues.
- Create a Healthy Lifestyles Team, including your principal, PTA president, PE department, cafeteria manager, and parents.
- Attend your district’s School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) meetings and understand your district’s wellness policy.
- Join your school’s Campus Improvement Committee to provide a school health perspective.
- Assess your school’s needs via surveys, plus feedback from school faculty, staff, and administration, PTA leaders, parents, and students.
- Network with PTA Healthy Lifestyles Leaders in your community to collaborate on common goals.
- Create opportunities for parent engagement and education that fit your local needs, utilizing local assets (parents, businesses, local non-profits) as well as Texas PTA and National PTA resources.
Healthy Lifestyles Month (November)
Access the Healthy Lifestyles Month toolkit to celebrate all the ways we can make simple, smart choices together.
- Healthy Lifestyles Year-at-a-Glance