Establishing and supporting a healthy lifestyles position within your PTA signals your commitment to building healthy schools, healthy families, and healthy communities.
- Work with the previous chair to review ongoing efforts and obtain any needed materials.
- Review the Basics Healthy Lifestyles Resource Guide for detailed support and best practices.
- Develop a Plan of Work and submit to the Executive Board for approval. View Sample Plan of Work.
- Become familiar with the Texas Coordinated School Health requirements and the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child model.
- Sign the Confidentiality, Ethics and Conflict of Interest Agreement and submit to the Secretary.
- Complete both components of FOUNDATIONS within 30 days of election or appointment.
Duties at a Glance
- Serve as a liaison between your PTA and the community regarding health-related issues.
- Create a Healthy Lifestyles Team, including your principal, PTA president, PE department, cafeteria manager, and parents.
- Attend your district’s School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) meetings and understand your district’s wellness policy.
- Join your school’s Campus Improvement Committee to provide a school health perspective.
- Assess your school’s needs via surveys, plus feedback from school faculty, staff, and administration, PTA leaders, parents, and students.
- Network with PTA Healthy Lifestyles Leaders in your community to collaborate on common goals.
- Create opportunities for parent engagement and education that fit your local needs, utilizing local assets (parents, businesses, local non-profits) as well as Texas PTA and National PTA resources.
Healthy Lifestyles Month (November)
Access the 2022 Healthy Lifestyles Month toolkit to celebrate all the ways we can make simple, smart choices together.
- View the Basics Healthy Lifestyles webinar here.
Descargue la Guía de inicio rápido Basics Estilos de Vida Saludables
- Healthy Lifestyles Year-at-a-Glance
Download the Healthy Lifestyles Month Resources and Websites
Download the Healthy Lifestyles Month Resources and Websites (Spanish)