Advocacy is at the core of our PTA mission to make every child's potential a reality. By engaging and educating members on important issues at the local, state and national level, PTAs become an important voice in making decisions that impact Texas families.
- Work with the outgoing Advocacy VP/Chair to review ongoing efforts and needed materials.
- Review BASICS Advocacy Resource Guide for detailed support and best practices.
- Develop a Plan of Work and submit to the Executive Board for approval. View a Sample Plan of Work.
- Subscribe to Texas PTA's Under the Dome to receive advocacy-related communications.
- Review Texas PTA's and National PTA's Legislative Positions, Resolutions and Legislative Priorities.
- Sign the Confidentiality, Ethics and Conflict of Interest Agreement and submit to the Secretary.
- Complete both components of FOUNDATIONS Leader Orientation before October 15.
Duties at a Glance
- Identify policy issues of interest to your PTA membership and monitor through local and national media, school district policies, school board meetings, and PTA resources.
- Advocate for policies aligned with Texas PTA's Legislative Priorities.
- Present legislative reports at all Association and board meetings.
- Provide members with contact information for elected officials, while sharing action alerts and encouraging participation.
- Meet with elected officials at least annually.
- Network with PTA Advocacy Leaders in your community to collaborate on common goals.
- Promote and participate in Texas PTA’s bi-annual Rally Day.
Share Your Success
One of the most valuable benefits of PTA is that our Leaders are part of a larger community who have the opportunity to network and share with one another. We know that PTAs across Texas are doing great things and we want to hear about each and every one of them! Submit your success story and be the Talk of Texas!
View the BASICS Advocacy Webinar below:
- Download the BASICS Advocacy Resource Guide 2019-2020
Hard copies available through the Texas PTA Store.