Advocacy is at the core of our PTA mission to make every child's potential a reality. By engaging and educating members on important issues at the local, state and national level, PTAs become an important voice in making decisions that impact Texas families.
- Work with the outgoing Advocacy VP/Chair to review ongoing efforts and needed materials.
- Review BASICS Advocacy Resource Guide for detailed support and best practices.
- Develop a Plan of Work and submit to the Executive Board for approval. View a Sample Plan of Work.
- Subscribe to Texas PTA's Under the Dome to receive advocacy-related communications.
- Review Texas PTA's and National PTA's Legislative Positions, Resolutions and Legislative Priorities.
- Sign the Confidentiality, Ethics and Conflict of Interest Agreement and submit to the Secretary.
- Complete all mandatory FOUNDATIONS trainings within 30 days of election or appointment.
Duties at a Glance
- Identify policy issues of interest to your PTA membership and monitor through local and national media, school district policies, school board meetings, and PTA resources.
- Advocate for policies aligned with Texas PTA's Legislative Priorities.
- Present legislative reports at all Association and board meetings.
- Provide members with contact information for elected officials, while sharing action alerts and encouraging participation.
- Meet with elected officials at least annually.
- Network with PTA Advocacy Leaders in your community to collaborate on common goals.
- Promote and participate in Texas PTA’s bi-annual Rally Day.
- View the BASICS Advocacy Webinar here.
- Download the BASICS Advocacy Resource Guide
- Download the BASICS Advocacy Quick Start Guide
- Download the BASICS Advocacy Quick Start Guide (Spanish)
- View the Texas PTA Member Perks