The president is elected as the presiding officer and leads the PTA in cooperation with the other members of the executive board.
- Call a meeting of the elected officers within 30 days of the election meeting to appoint the historian, parliamentarian and standing committee chairs. Appointments are subject to the approval of the board.
- Review the BASICS President Resource Guide for detailed guidance on leading your PTA
- Schedule a meeting with your campus administrator to discuss goals and expectations for the upcoming year.
- Develop a Plan of Work and submit to the Executive Board for approval. View a Sample Plan of Work.
- Appoint a member, with the approval of the board, who is not an authorized signer on the bank account to open, review, initial and date each bank statement. Download the Checklist for Statement Review.
- Sign the Confidentiality, Ethics and Conflict of Interest Agreement and submit to the Secretary.
- Complete both components of FOUNDATIONS Leader Orientation before October 15.
Duties at a Glance
- Prepare written agendas and preside at all Association and board meetings.
- Ensure your Local PTA meets all requirements of the Standards of Continuing Affiliation.
- Ensure all members and dues are reported to Texas PTA in a timely manner, at least monthly.
- Work with all board members to help meet their goals and required duties.
- Sign all contracts which have been approved by the board.
- Be an authorized signer on the bank account.
- Foster an environment of open communication among all board members.
- Appoint a Financial Reconciliation committee at least 30 days before the last association meeting of the year. Appointments are subject to the approval of the board.
- Represent Local PTA as a delegate to Council PTA, if applicable.
- Serve as an ex-officio member of all committees, except the Nominating and Financial Reconciliation committees.
Share Your Success
One of the most valuable benefits of PTA is that our Leaders are part of a larger community who have the opportunity to network and share with one another. We know that PTAs across Texas are doing great things and we want to hear about each and every one of them! Submit your success story and be the Talk of Texas!
View the BASICS President webinar here.
Download the BASICS President Resource Guide
Hard copies available through the Texas PTA Store.
Download the BASICS Principal Resource Guide
View the Consent for Minors to Serve on a Local/Council PTA Board or Committee
View and Download a list of Texas PTA Member Perks