The secretary is responsible for keeping accurate records of all association proceedings.
- Work with the outgoing secretary to obtain access to all association records.
- Review the BASICS Secretary Resource Guide for guidance and best practices.
- Ensure all board members have submitted themselves on our Officer Intake form within 15 days of their election or appointment.
- Ensure all board members have completed FOUNDATIONS training and signed the Confidentiality, Ethics and Conflict of Interest Agreement.
- Ensure the Local PTA Records Retention Policy is reviewed annually and adopted by the association membership.
- Complete a Plan of Work and submit to the Executive Board for approval. View a Sample Plan of Work.
- Complete mandatory components of FOUNDATIONS trainings within 30 days of election or appointment.
Duties at a Glance
- Maintain all official records of the association.
- Record in the minutes all business transacted at each association and board meeting. View Sample Meeting Minutes.
- Notifies board members, as requested by the president, of all called meetings.
- Assist the president in determining a quorum at association and board meetings.
- Present minutes from the previous meeting, association or board.
- Present a report of board meetings to the association membership as needed.
- Prepares a draft of the minutes of each meeting within two to five days of the meeting.
- Act as the corresponding secretary, reading communications at meetings and writing thank you notes, etc.
- Assume the duties of the historian if one is not designated in the bylaws.