The secretary is responsible for keeping accurate records of all association proceedings.
- Work with the outgoing secretary to obtain access to all association records.
- Review the BASICS Secretary Resource Guide for guidance and best practices.
- Submit all board members and their contact information to Texas PTA within 15 days of their election or appointment.
- Ensure all board members have completed FOUNDATIONS training and signed the Confidentiality, Ethics and Conflict of Interest Agreement.
- Ensure the Local PTA Records Retention Policy is reviewed annually and adopted by the association membership.
- Complete a Plan of Work and submit to the Executive Board for approval. View a Sample Plan of Work.
- Complete both components of FOUNDATIONS before October 15.
Duties at a Glance
- Maintain all official records of the association.
- Record in the minutes all business transacted at each association and board meeting. View Sample Meeting Minutes.
- Notifies board members, as requested by the president, of all called meetings.
- Assist the president in determining a quorum at association and board meetings.
- Present minutes from the previous meeting, association or board.
- Present a report of board meetings to the association membership as needed.
- Prepares a draft of the minutes of each meeting within two to five days of the meeting.
- Act as the corresponding secretary, reading communications at meetings and writing thank you notes, etc.
- Assume the duties of the historian if one is not designated in the bylaws.
Share Your Success
One of the most valuable benefits of PTA is that our Leaders are part of a larger community who have the opportunity to network and share with one another. We know that PTAs across Texas are doing great things and we want to hear about each and every one of them! Submit your success story and be the Talk of Texas!
View the BASICS Secretary webinar here.
Download the BASICS Secretary Resource Guide 2020-2021
Hard copies available through the Texas PTA Store
View the Texas PTA Member Perks